Sunday, October 3, 2010

I'll take pictures, I might even take a nap...but there is NO way I'm taking notes! (Adventure #2)

So, this week was fairly boring and normal...except we went to a Guru's Birthday Party on Thursday!  Which is where the title of this post comes in, fyi.  Our Indian professor kept telling us to be "sure to take notes" and we all just looked at each other and simultaneously thought, "NO WAY are we taking notes!"

Of course, like going anywhere, getting to the party was something of an adventure.  First we had to ride on this scary bus that was a little like the Knight Bus from Harry Potter...except dirtier and smellier and even though you can't tell in the picture, the door was literally tied shut with rope.















We got off in the middle of NO WHERE.  In fact, the first thing we saw was a pig carcass hanging up...not pleasant.  Having said that, we managed to find a rickshaw and drove for an hour along quite possibly one of the bumpiest roads known to man.  And this was in a rickshaw, mind you.


As if this wasn't enough, we also had to walk for about 5 minutes along a huge spider infested forest reminiscent of Harry Potter...once again...I couldn't get a very good picture, but this guy was about the size of my face.  Yeah, you read that right.


Now to move on to the actual birthday celebration...I'm sad to say, it was rather boring.  Despite the fact we were two hours late, we waited another hour for it to start and let's just say that while the kids in India are ADORABLE...watching them perform a play about the guru's life for three hours in the hot sun=not too much fun.

















After that, the guru moved up onto the stage and there was some dancing in his honor which was kinda fun:

And these girls actually did a type of traditional dancing called Kuchi Puri.  It's the kind of dance that I've been learning.  I couldn't get a very good video of them, though, sorry.


And that was the Guru's Birthday celebration.

Also, for anyone who's interested, this is a picture of how to write your names in Telugu...courtesy of the Aviators of course  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment